Monday, February 29, 2016

The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness

Buy here*
Publication date: 2015
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 317
My rating: 3 stars
Ages: 18+

For every "Chosen One" there are a dozen normal kids just trying to live their lives during each apocalypse. Mikey is just a regular kid trying to get through the last few weeks of high school with his friends, but strange things start happening and it starts to look like the high school might get blown up once again. But that's not nearly as important to Mikey as Mel, Henna, Jared, and Meredith. What do you during an apocalypse when there isn't anything you can do?

Let me start with the things I liked. First, the representation and handling of mental illnesses. They weren't used to be make a character quirky or funny, but were represented as things that are hard and painful. Then there was the discussion of how to handle them and what it means to get help for them. I found this very unique and a great way to discuss the ongoing stigma associated with mental health issues.

Second, I loved the satirical way Ness approached "Chosen One" stories. In a way, you were getting two stories, and it was hilarious. The names of the "Indie Kids," the things they would do, the love triangle--everything was so on the nose that I couldn't help but laugh at it.

Now, the things I didn't like so much. I don't think it's any secret that I tend to lean more toward the conservative side of things. So the amount of sexual language and innuendos was way overboard for me. I've never been a teenage boy, but I just don't think that they actually think about sex that much and that it's a disservice to teens to portray they as such. Then again, maybe they do. I don't know.

There was also a lot of strong language, most of which seemed completely unnecessary.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!