Sunday, February 28, 2016

The Elements of Landscape Oil Painting by Suzanne Brooker

More info*
Publication date: 2015
Publisher: Watson-Guptill Publications
Pages: 195
My rating: 4 stars
Ages: 16+

Meant for the intermediate painter, this book talks through the various elements contained in landscape painting, how to do them and how to fix specific problems. Everything from water to clouds are discussed, with helpful step by step photos.

This is a different type of book than I usually get, and I have to admit that I didn't read it cover to cover, though I did glance through the part I didn't read. The reason I chose this book is because I have recently taken up oil painting, and since I'm being self taught, I thought it might be helpful. However, I'm not anywhere near the level that this book caters too.

That being said, this book is beautiful. Hardback, large, with full color photos of paintings that show what is being discussed. Paintings from many different artists in many different styles. The writing is encouraging and positive, instead of critical of other methods and people, like so many painting blogs I have come across.

In all, a great book for the painting who would like to improve their landscapes, though not great for the beginner.

*I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!