Monday, February 8, 2016

Orbiting Jupiter by Gary D. Schmidt

Buy here*
Publication date: 2015
Publisher: Clarion Books
Pages: 183
My rating: 3.5 stars
Ages: 13+

When Jack's parents decide to take in a troubled foster kid, Jack is ready to welcome him. But Joseph has more than his share of problems. He won't let anyone touch him, he tried to kill a teacher, and he has a daughter he's never seen. Being with Jack and his family, things start changing for Joseph, but he can't stop searching for Jupiter.

Schmidt has a magical way of writing. His characters are young, and he is able to perfectly capture their youth, naïveté, and complexity. The stories may seem simple on the surface, but there is so much heart in them.

There was a welcome appearance of a character from Schmidt's novel Okay for Now. And, as I have come to expect, wonderful teachers who can see so much more in their students than anyone else. The characters are developed and the stories wonderfully diverse.

While I find that I like some other of Schmidt's books more, his special touch is still evident in this one; as well as his ability to make me cry.

No language and only the smallest mention of sexual situations.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!