Monday, September 5, 2016

The Telling by Alexandra Sirowy

Buy here*
Publication date: 2016
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Pages: 387
My rating: 3 stars
Ages: 17+

Lana's life is split between before and after. After is her trying to become brave after seeing her stepbrother's murder. But things start getting scary once other kids start dying--kids that had done Lana wrong in some way. Could it be some random killer? The homeless man? Or has Ben's ghost returned to enact vengeance?

This is one of those books that I was kind of "meh" about during most of it. My brain did keep coming up with different theories on who the murderer was, and there was one that I really liked--and would have preferred for it to have been that theory when it came to the end.

The book seemed long. I kept thinking that I was getting to the end of it, then I'd look to see how many pages were left and there were still a lot. That doesn't necessarily mean that the entire book was difficult to read or get into. There were a lot of moments in the book that kept me reading, but they were broken up by a lot of internal and psychological stuff with Lana. Some of those stopped the narrative a little too much for me. The characters were interested and complex, though it didn't seem so at the beginning.

It brought up a lot of questions and confusion about what is right and wrong to do and feel and act on.

There was some hard language and sexual contexts.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!