Monday, September 26, 2016

My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows

Buy here*
Publication date: 2016
Publisher: Harper Teen
Pages: 491
My rating: 4 stars
Ages: 16+

It's all there in the history books: after the death of young King Edward of England, Jane Grey ruled for 9 days before being deposed and executed. But, the history books have gotten it all wrong. This is the true story of Lady Jane and King Edward.

I was immediately drawn to this book because of the cover and the promise of a historical romance. I did not know what I was getting into--but I'm glad I got into it.

If you are looking for historical fiction based on, you know, history, this isn't really the book for you. Instead, this is a reimagining of history; it's more like an alternative history with magic and people who can turn into animals. There are robbers, rebellions, kings, deceptions, and romance.

Jane is a headstrong, intelligent woman, faced with something she never wanted. G is a free spirit who just longs to run in the fields. Edward has never faced any hardship before, and his trust has been misplaced for far too long. Each of these characters grow and change and develop in the best possible way. The story is so full and complete. Every character, no matter how small, was interesting and unique. The narrators/authors are funny--and their pop culture references are a special treat.

I completely recommend this book to everyone. There is little to no language and some minute, veiled mentions of sex.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!