Monday, September 12, 2016

The Gilded Cage by Lucinda Gray

Buy here*
Publication date: 2016
Publisher: Henry Holt and Company
Pages: 245
My rating: 3.5 stars
Ages: 14+

Katherine's and her brother, George's, lives changed the day an attorney came to their small farm in Virginia. Just a few months later they are in England, the only heirs of a large estate and a title. But just as they are getting settled, George dies. Everyone says it's an accident, but Katherine is certain he was killed. That, with the rumor of a beast on the estate and a strange poacher, Katherine is starting to think there is something very wrong about what she has inherited.

A period piece mystery . . . I think that was exactly what I needed when I started this book. Katherine is young, but confident in herself--even when put into a completely foreign situation. She wasn't going to let anyone change her mind, not when what they are saying doesn't add up.

I did have a little bit of a beef with the romance story. Katherine seemed to too quickly change her affections from one man to another. It was pretty obvious (to me) who she was going to end up with, but in less than 250 pages, there are no less than three men mentioned/she has a moment with. I think that the story could have still had the same elements without one of those moments, instead focusing on her developing feelings and confusion toward the main counterpart.

Very mild language and no sex.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!