Monday, September 19, 2016

How to Hang a Witch by Adriana Mather

Buy here*
Publication date: 2016
Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf
Pages: 348
My rating: 4 stars
Ages: 14+

Witches, a curse, a spirit, and a secret. Samantha Mather is a descendant of Cotton Mather--one of the men who convicted witches during the trials in Salem. When she and her stepmother move to Salem, Sam is met with suspicion and outright harassment. This mostly comes from The Descendants--those teens who are directly descended from the people tried as witches. Then people start dying. With the help of a spirit, Sam must break a curse that she doesn't truly believe in.

I love how Mather 1) uses her own family history to create a story without it seeming like she was making Sam an avatar of herself, 2) used a well-known historical event and put it so seamlessly into a new and interesting story.

The characters were engaging and mysterious. Mather gives the reader just enough information to keep them interested without getting frustrated. I, as I do when reading mystery, tried to make out who was behind it all. I did think of the solution, but kept passing it off as ridiculous.

This is another book that I would recommend to a lot of people--especially when looking at it through the lens of Mather's author note at the end.

Little to no language and no sex.

*I receive no compensation from Amazon.
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!