Thursday, March 31, 2016

Pop Painting by Camilla d'Errico

More info*
Publication date: 2016
Publisher: Watson-Guptill Publications
Pages: 236
My rating: 3 stars
Ages: 14+

Pop artist Errico shares the secrets of her paintings, from the paints she uses to step by step instructions on certain elements that appear in her art.

I really liked d'Errico's approach to talking about art. It's casual and fun, never too serious. She talks in a positive way, never disparaging. Her paintings are bright and interesting. She's not afraid to share that sometimes things just don't work out or that it's hard to get to work sometimes. The step by steps were fairly thorough, but I think I would have understood better if I was actually being show in really time.

The biggest problems I had with it were editorial. D'Errico would frequently make reference to an acrylic glazing medium, putting (AGM) afterwards as if to show that that would be how she would refer to it later. Several times throughout the book, she would do this every time she talked about the medium--sometimes two or more times on the same page! I would have rather that she just called it "acrylic glazing medium" instead of "acrylic glazing medium (AGM)" several times, as I got frustrated that the initials were never used as such. I understand that it may have to be restated in a new section, but within sections it should be shortened.

I also wished that the paintings shared in the book were labeled by name, since d'Errico mentions them by name.

If anything, great coffee table book.

*I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!