Monday, March 28, 2016

Dumplin' by Julie Murphy

Buy here*
Publication date: 2015
Publisher: Balzer+Bray
Pages: 371
My rating: 3.5 stars
Ages: 16+

"Willowdean . . . Cashier, Dolly Parton enthusiast, and resident fat girl." That's what Willowdean thinks she is, until she meets Bo, signs up for the local pageant, and loses her best friend. Suddenly, she wonders if her confidence was just an act and if she really doesn't know who she is or what she wants.

I really liked Willowdean. She was spunky and confident, but still insecure, which I think we are all. While Will's big fight was accepting herself at her weight and that people would still want to be with her, I think that really the book was just about accepting yourself not matter what and realizing that there are people who want to be with you. At the same time, while people may want to be with you, you have to love yourself first. You have to be comfortable with who you are. Because no matter how beautiful other people may say you are, you aren't going to believe it.

There was a lot of stuff in this book that I think it important for teenagers to know and learn, but I put the age so high because of the language and sexual discussions.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!