Monday, March 21, 2016

Jesse's Girl by Miranda Kenneally

Buy here*
Publication date: 2015
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Pages: 287
My rating: 2.5 star
Ages: 17+

When Maya tells her school she wants to be a rock star, she doesn't expect them to give her the chance to shadow teen heart throb Jesse Scott. After a rocky start, they spend a great day together. But it doesn't seem to be enough.

My first critique comes with the title. Throughout the book, Maya wants to do things for herself, not based on her friendship with Jesse. So, perhaps the book should have been called "Maya's Guy"? That's a small detail that I only just thought of.

I liked the idea of this book more than I actually liked the execution. There didn't seem to be much change in the characters, not enough that I felt that they had overcome any sort of hill. Not until the very last chapter.

There isn't much that kept me reading, except that I wanted to see it play out. Maya was interesting, being a different sort of person than everyone else in her town. I liked that she was close to her family and had a distinct personality. Jesse is pretty much the same, though the relationship with his parents seems a little exaggerated as does his reaction to certain events.

There is a lot of language and sexuality, including a sex scene.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!