Sunday, November 8, 2015

Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling

More info*
Publication date: 2015
Publisher: Crown Archetype
Pages: 226
My rating: 4 stars
Ages: 16+

Mindy Kaling does it again in a new book of personal essays. Divulging on everything from boyfriends to sororities, the writer/comedian/actor uses her trademark style and humor to entertain and connect with the reader.

I love Mindy Kaling. She's like the "every girl" of Hollywood. I think a lot of actors get called that, but I really think that Kaling is more so than anyone else I've heard of. She's not afraid to talk about eating all the rolls because no one else is (which is ridiculous, rolls are the best part of a meal sometime), or how she has issues with her body, anxieties about work, and disappointments in life. And I can relate to her, not because I'm a first generation child of immigrants, or a woman of color, but because I'm an American woman who is constantly told that I'm supposed to be this thing that seems impossible to achieve.

In Kaling, I see myself. I daydream about how my life would have been if I did something else. I have woken up in the middle of the night worried about life. I love romantic comedies (probably why I love her TV show so much that I've watched the entire thing twice in two months). And I try to find humor in life. Maybe not like Kaling does--because I don't think I have her wit or her charm--but humor as I can.

I've completely gone off on a tangent. Why Not Me? is fun to read. I started it before I went to bed and found myself actually "LOLing" to just one sentence. A sentence that kept setting me off as I read the rest of the page and my eyes kept flitting back to it. Kaling's style and perfect timing make her writing easily consumed, with enough lightness to make it seem like she's not actually saying anything, when actually she's saying just about everything.

I highly recommend this book to everyone, but mostly to teen and twenty-something women.

Some language spattered throughout and comments about sex.

*I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!