Monday, November 30, 2015

The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan

Buy here*
Publication date: 2015
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Pages: 491
My rating: 4 stars
Ages:13+
Series: Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard

Magnus Chase has been living on his own on the streets of Boston since his mother died two years ago. But on his sixteenth birthday, everything changes. He dies. Waking up in Valhalla, Magnus starts to learn that the truth about the mysteries of his family, his mother's death, and his uncle's obsession. Now, he needs to go against the odds to find the mythical Sword of Summer, to prevent the world from ending.

This review may be a little biased, because I think that I am going to like nearly everything that Riordan writes, and I have been waiting for this book for over a year. Coming off of his last series, The Heroes of Olympus, Riordan introduces a new hero and a new set of gods. With the attention turned to the Norse gods, there is so much more to learn and love.

Unlike Greek myths, I don't know much about Norse mythology, though lately I have been more interested in it. I mean, mostly what I know comes from the Thor movies, and I don't think they are very accurate. So that was fun, reading and learning more about the Norse gods and the Nine Worlds, etc. I think that's something that I really like about Riordan, is that he's introducing younger readers to things that they probably don't know a lot about and probably won't learn about in school. Magnus is a funny and sympathetic protagonist, along with his friends. And the writing is quick and witty. There are some little references that readers won't understand unless they have read the Percy Jackson and Olympus books, but nothing completely integral to the story.

No swearing or sexual situations.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooo I saw this one in the store and wondered about it. I LOVED the others, so I will be sure to pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!