Sunday, July 26, 2015

The Theft of Memory: Losing My Father One Day at a Time by Jonathan Kozol

More info*
Publication date: 2015
Publisher: Crown Publishers
Pages: 271
My rating: 3 stars
Ages:18+

When neurologist and psychiatrist Harry Kozol starts noticing lapses in his memory, he sits his son down and describes what is happening to him. Over the next 14 years, Jonathan experiences losing his father to Alzheimer's.

Part of my interest in this book came from losing my grandfather to Alzheimer's--a disease that takes years to realize and even more years to complete it's course. I was expecting something different though. The summary I had read before choosing to read it made me think that the book would have Dr. Kozol's record of his disease based on his medical background as well as Jonathan's account of taking care of his father and memories of his father. However, it is only Dr. Kozol's conversation with his son that shows his approach to diagnosing himself with Alzheimer's and describing what it is like.

Though a little disappointed from unmet expectations, the book was interesting. Kozol talks about decisions regarding his father's care, about talking with his mother, and how certain memories of his childhood would come up during the course of this. I was horrified by the care Dr. Kozol received from his geriatric doctors, though pleased by the care his received from nurses and other caregivers other than his son. There were times when things seemed a little over my head, especially regarding Dr. Kozol's work as a doctor. And one of my biggest critiques was the lack of emotional pull I felt from Kozol--which I think can be explained by him having written it just a few months after his father's death, perhaps as a way to deal with his grief?

This book a little unapproachable for younger audiences, but there is little language.

*I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!