Monday, July 20, 2015

A Mad, Wicked Folly by Sharon Biggs Waller

Buy here*
Publication date: 2014
Publisher: Viking Books
Pages: 448
My rating: 3.5 stars
Ages: 15+

After having been sent home from finishing school in France, Victoria Darling struggles to feel free. She wants to be an artist, but in London high society, all she is expected to be is a wife and mother. Thinking that marriage will give her the freedom she can't have in her father's house, she agrees to an arranged marriage. But things get complicated when she meets Will and the suffragettes.

As an Anglophile, I love just about anything that takes place in England, and this is no exception. The Edwardian period isn't one that I'm greatly familiar with, so it was really interesting to learn more about the suffrage movement in England at that time and see it with a character like Vicky. She had to make a tough decision, her family and money for her freedom. I loved it. The talk of art was interesting too--I had to keep looking up pictures that were mentioned.

There were times when I wasn't sure how historically accurate something was (just once or twice), but the author seemed to know what she was doing, so I'm going to trust her. I really liked the extra information at the end of the book about the WPSU and the era in general.

Some very mild sexuality, no language.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!