Thursday, July 9, 2015

Five Years in Heaven by John Schlimm

More info*
Publication date: 2015
Publisher: Image
Pages: 272
My rating: 3.5 stars
Ages: 14+

While trying to find a new direction in life, and feeling disheartened, John walks into the convent's ceramic shop and meets Sister Augustine. For five years, John joins Sister in her shop, learning from her and getting everyone else excited about the ceramics shop. It's an unlikely friendship, but one that helps John, Sister, and the convent.

For about two pages I wasn't sure how I would like this book. My mind changed quickly. Everything that Sister Augustine said to John seemed meant for me--and I think anyone reading it will feel that way. After reading the first couple of chapters, I got out some sticky notes and started marking pages that had something that I really liked.

Another part that I really liked was the story of how Sister Augustine got her call. Amazing and beautiful.

This is a bit of a niche book--those not religious may not like it. Also, I felt that the dialogue was a little stilted, but since Schlimm's writing is usually on a different end of the spectrum, I can see why. As it is, I thought it was a great story, had some amazing insights, and I think should be something everyone should read.

*I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!