Monday, February 2, 2015

Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Buy here*
Publication date: 2013
Publisher: Speak
Pages: 369
My rating: 4 stars
Ages: 16+

After a disappointing tour across Europe, Allyson is ready to go home. But then she meets Willem, who not only convinces her to go to Paris for a day, but allows her to reinvent herself as "Lulu." But when the day comes to an end, Lulu finds herself alone and heartbroken. Will she be able to find Willem again? And should she?

I was a little worried when I started this that it would be too similar to last week's book, which I had just read. However, though the concept is similar, the two books go in completely different directions. I felt that Just One Day was about finding yourself, discovering what you are capable of, while Probability was more about forgiveness and restitution.

I loved the addition of Shakespeare running through this book, as well as the emphasis of hearing and seeing Shakespeare, not just reading it. And then there is the focus on friendship, family, disguises, and changes. There really is quite a bit in this book, but the big thing is even with those focuses, it's still fun to read. I just wanted to read it all the time, but my day job and responsibilities kept getting in the way. I finished it and immediately started looking for the companion novel so that I could learn about Willem's side of the story. I'm disappointed that I have to wait for it to come in at the library. And I really think that's the best recommendation I can give.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!