Thursday, February 5, 2015

Food: A Love Story by Jim Gaffigan

More Info*
Publication date: 2014
Publisher: Crown Archetype
Pages: 335
My rating: 3.5 stars
Ages: 16+

In his new book, comedian Jim Gaffigan talks about the love of his life: food. All kinds of food, good food, bad food, fast food, "fancy" food, etc. Gaffigan also shares stories about his five kids and wife--but only where it is related to food, because that's what this book is about: food.

Gaffigan is funny, but I think that some people might find his slightly dry sense of humor hard to understand in writing, and I also found myself wishing that I could hear him read this book instead of just reading it. What's great about this is that food and eating is such a cultural thing--we get together and we have food, it's just what we do. So Gaffigan takes that, and in a way, shows how ridiculous it is to have things revolve around food, while at the same time showing exactly why it's so important in our culture.

The bad thing about this book is that it can make you hungry. I was hungry once and a few hours before I would be able to eat, so I decided to pass the time by reading. Unfortunately, the chapter I was on was about bacon. Not the best thing to read when trying to take your mind off food.

*I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!