Monday, February 9, 2015

Blind by Rachel DeWoskin

Buy here*
Publication date: 2014
Publisher: Viking
Pages: 394
My rating: 3 stars
Ages:16+

It's been one year since the tragic accident that took Emma's sight. She's now ready to be "re-mainstreamed"--meaning she can go back to her regular high school. But things aren't going well, especially after a girl from school dies. Emma tries to make sense of the tragedy, both of the death and the loss of her sight.

What I found most interesting about this book was the descriptions of how Emma "saw" things without her sight--colors, smells, and memories all seemed to come together to make an image for her. There were a few times when I felt that DeWoskin may have slipped and made Emma a bit more aware of what was happening than she should have been.

The reason I gave this book three stars is because it seemed to drag in parts. I understand that Emma has to go through the stages of grief for her eyes, and then again for her school friend, but mostly I just wished that everyone would TALK to each other. That Emma would talk to her parents, her sisters, her friends, instead of just locking everything inside. Because there was so much bad communication, and Emma was full of lows and highs, that the book just felt stretched out in order to come to a good conclusion.

There were a few instances of the f-word.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!