Monday, January 5, 2015

Yes Please by Amy Poehler

Buy here*
Publication date: 2014
Publisher: Dey St.
Pages: 329
My rating: 3 stars
Ages:18+

What do comedy, TV, Hilary Clinton, Smart Girls, and raising boys all have in common? Amy Poehler. In her memoirs, Poehler invites you into her home as a friend and shares not only how she became who she is today, but also advice on how to live life the fullest and get through hard times. Everything from growing up in Boston to Parks and Recreation are included, with a few guest writers pitching in.

I like Amy Poehler. I think she's funny, and I like what she's doing with her brand Smart Girls at a Party. Reading her book was at times like seeing a stand up, and other times like having a long "Ask Amy" video--that is, part funny, part serious and deep. I did not want to stop reading it.

However, there were times when I felt a little like I was meeting someone in person and realizing they weren't exactly who I thought they would be. You probably know by now that I'm not a big fan of hard swearing and sex; both of which are included in Yes Please. Poehler also talks about drug use in her younger days. For the sake of honesty in her memoirs, I suppose that to not include some of these things would have been akin to lying. Mostly, I could have done without all the F-words.

Fans of Parks and Rec will enjoy the chapter about it and how it came to be and the people that work on it. I also enjoyed stories from Poehler's SNL days. I appreciated the way she spoke about her two sons and what she does to bring some magic into their lives. Like I mentioned before, this book runs the gambit from hilarious to sweet and sensitive. Recommended for fans of Amy Poehler.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!