Friday, January 9, 2015

The Expats by Chris Pavone

More info*
Publication date: 2013
Publisher: Broadway Books
Pages: 326
My rating: 2 stars
Ages:18+

When Kate's husband gets a job in Luxembourg, it gives her the best way to quit the job she's started to hate. But when another expat couple seems to be checking up on them, Kate's CIA training kicks in. The FBI believes Kate's husband has stolen 50 million dollars. Kate is now faced with wondering who her husband is, if she should tell him about her other life, and who to believe.

This book started out one way, and I was really interested. Then with about a third of the book left, it just seemed to change and reading it was hard. I don't know if it just seemed that the story was dragging or the tone seemed different or what, but that last third was tough. The book was told in a unique way. Every few chapters there would be a chapter that was happening "Today"--so the book was kind of a long flashback/backstory. But even then there would be flashbacks. It made it a little hard to keep track of the story.

Something that was interesting was that there was a lot of talk about computer hacking. In my job the past few months I've been reading a lot about computer hacking and it was nice to know what the terms meant. Mostly it was for my own pride that I was actually learning something while I've been editing.

I think this book would be more liked by those who like to read spy novels. There is some sex and language.

*I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!