Monday, December 29, 2014

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

Buy here*
Publication date: 2000
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Pages: 272
My rating: 2 stars
Ages: 18+

Throughout the personal essays in this book we are introduced to Sedaris's strange and almost unbelievable life. From growing up in North Carolina with a lisp, to going to France for two years but never being able to learn the language, Sedaris puts forth his life for us without any excuses.

I'm a little ashamed to admit this, but I thought that this book was written by someone else entirely. So I was a little surprised when I discovered that it wasn't who I had expected. But I started reading it. Unfortunately, I didn't seem to find it quite as funny as the people who had provided the blurbs on the back of the book did. At least, not until Sedaris got to France, and then I found little pieces here and there pretty humorous--enough that I shared some of them with my family.

There is some language--usually when Sedaris is talking about his brother, who seems to have a bit of a mouth on him. There was also a time in Sedaris's life when he was pretty heavily involved in drugs and he goes into some detail about buying them, taking them, and their effect on him. There were actually a lot of things that I would have been more interested in learning about than what was provided in the essays. How and why did he decided to get sober? How did he get into writing? How did his family react to him being gay? I felt like there was a lot more interesting things that I wanted to know than the story about the lady who made him chase a pigeon.

I've read other memoirs/books of essays that I enjoyed a lot more.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!