Monday, December 22, 2014

Vivian Divine is Dead by Lauren Sabel

Buy here*
Publication date: 2014
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Pages: 277
My rating: 3 stars
Ages: 13+

Vivian Divine had everything: fame, money, a hot boyfriend, and a mother who loved her. But six months ago her life started unraveling and it all ends with a death threat. Vivian runs off to Mexico, alone and scared and not knowing who to trust, or who is trying to kill her. Plus, there's Nick, the boy who's been helping her--who she thinks she might be falling in love with!

This was a fast read--I read it in about two days, during my lunch breaks and before bed. It was fun to read, especially because it was the week before Halloween and the climax of the book takes place during the Day of the Dead in Mexico. It's a bit of a mystery, which is always fun, and it wasn't completely predictable. I was only about ten pages ahead of the character instead of most of the book.

This is definitely a book that will intrigue teens the most--those who are probably between 13 and 16 will like it the best. It's not really a masterpiece, but it's not just completely fluff either. Vivian is a teen movie star, her parents are famous, which makes it something that I know I would have liked to read about when I was 13 or 14. Then there's the cute Latino boy, the cultural differences of Mexico, the celebration of a different holiday, with the addition of a mystery. All of this just combines to make an enjoyable read.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!