Monday, December 8, 2014

Open Road Summer by Emery Lord

Buy here*
Publication date: 2014
Publisher: Walker Books
Pages: 342
My rating: 4 stars
Ages: 16+

After hitting rock bottom, Reagan decides to start anew and the best way to do that is to get away from her small town. Fortunately, her best friend is Lilah Montgomery--country star and ultimate good girl. But things get complicated with the addition of teen heartthrob Matt Finch, who is supposed to be pretending to be Lilah's boyfriend, but has gotten Reagan's attention instead. Now it's up to Reagan to decide whether or not the chance of getting hurt again is worth the risk of acting on her feelings.

When I first started reading this, I didn't really have the best attitude toward it. "Lilah is just a stand in for this famous artist, and Matt is just a stand in for that one," I thought. But once I started getting into it I realized that the similarities between the famous artists didn't matter, because the characters had depth and purpose. I laughed out loud at the back and forth between Matt and Reagan, and there was one point where my eyes threatened to tear up. Ultimately, I think Open Road Summer is a story about friendship and how true friends forgive each other and love each other no matter what happens or what you say in the heat of the moment.

Unlike other books about a "regular" person dating a celebrity, I felt this one seemed pretty real. I'd recommend this to anyone who wants a nice summery book to read. There is some mild language.

*I do not receive any compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!