Monday, December 5, 2016

Bright Smoke, Cold Fire by Rosamund Hodge

Buy here*
Publication date: 2016
Publisher: Balzar + Bray
Pages: 437
My rating: 3 stars
Ages: 15+

Viyara is the last city in the world, protected from the Ruining by a magic wall that is protected by the Sisters of Thorn. There is an unsteady peace among the three clans, one that is shaken when Romeo kills a Catresou, though he's in love with the Catresou's "sword," the Juliet. When Romeo and Juliet are separated, each forms an unlikely bond to try to find a better way to save the city and its inhabitants.

Hodge is one of the most unique writers I have come across. She can take stories that we all know and turn them around, upside down, adding a bit of a twist there and creating an entire new story that just shares the bare bones of the original. Her world building is, as always, on point.

The writing in Bright Smoke is just as precise as in her other novels, though it seemed to have some dark undertones to me. Not really in the writing or anything, but in the feeling I received from it, if that makes any sense. Also, this seems to be the beginning of a series, which I wasn't expecting and made me a little disappointed when I started getting close to the end and realized that there wasn't any way that it would all be satisfactorily wrapped up.

There isn't any language, but there are some vague references to sex.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!