Monday, December 26, 2016

Heartless by Marissa Meyer

Buy here*
Publication date: 2016
Publisher: A Feiwel and Friends Book
Pages: 449
My rating: 4 stars
Ages: 13+

Despite being the daughter of a marquess, Catherine only wants to be a baker. Her tarts are known throughout Hearts, and have even earned her the attention of the King of Hearts. However, it's the joker who has caught her eye, and who shows her a world completely different from the Hearts she has known.

I love Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. I feel that many people don't understand it's importance in literary history, or pass it off as some kind of drug-induced dream (my opinions of this theory are strong and could fill another post on its own). I think that Meyer has the same kind of love and admiration for Carroll's most popular work, because it showed in Heartless.

The kingdom of Hearts is just as strange as we see in Wonderland, with caterpillars and penguins who talk and work, but seen through the eyes of Catherine, who is from Hearts, it is all completely normal. Which is a great way to treat it, and I was pleased to find everything also seemed normal to me. I like how straight from the start, I could pick out familiar characters and see how they fit into the story I already knew.

Catherine is presented as a sympathetic character, with strengths and faults, who experiences things that turns her into a character we are all familiar.

A great one-off story from an author who wrote a series I love.

No language or sex.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!