Monday, November 14, 2016

You're Saying It Wrong by Ross Petras and Kathryn Petras

More info*
Publication date: 2016
Publisher: Ten Speed Press
Pages: 192
My rating: 4 stars
Ages: 12+

Have you ever said a word and then been told you've been saying it wrong your whole life? In this book, we are given 150 of the most commonly mispronounced words in the English language, with the correct pronunciations and history behind the words. Never be caught in an awkward situation again! (Well, at least when it comes to pronunciation.)

The problem of being a reader is that I know a lot of words and what they mean, but haven't heard many of them ever said out loud. Which means that I have had a few embarrassing situations where I have said a wrong wrong.

This book is a great, and fun, resource. The pronunciations are written out phonetically, so you don't have to try to figure out what all the marks mean. Then the Petrases explain how the mispronunciation probably came about, and the history behind the words. This could be boring, if they weren't so entertaining.

There were a few words that I just couldn't seem to get my mouth around. Others, I was proud to see I already did pronounce right, even if I wasn't sure because I'd heard others say it wrong ("dais" being one).

Great book for all word people.

*I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!