Friday, May 27, 2016

somethingtofoodabout by Questlove

More info*
Publication date: 2016
Publisher: Clarkson Potter
Pages: 239
My rating: 4 stars
Ages: 16+

Questlove (from The Roots) takes his love of good food across America as he talks with some of the best and most innovative chefs about their methods, creativity, and art. From New York to Seattle, this is a journey of passion and food.

I don't consider myself a "foodie." I like good food and I like cooking, but I'm not innovative or particularly passionate about it. So when I first started reading this book, one of my first thoughts was "These people are insane." But the more I got into the book, I realized how fun it was to read.

One reason for this is that Questlove is a fun, intelligent person. The other reason is that when people talk about things they are passionate about, it's interesting--no matter my personal feelings on the matter. Each chef had a unique approach to their restaurant, to food, and to their motivation behind what they do.

There's one chef who has basically set up a laboratory, using a lot more science than any other chef to create innovative meals that shock and surprise the diners. Then another chef who changes his menu every three months, never returning to a previous menu. And one more chef who is trying to make good quality food at fast food prices so that everyone can enjoy it, not just the upper crust.

The pictures are interesting and Questlove's footnotes alternate between funny and educational.

There is some language.

*I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!