Saturday, May 7, 2016

How to Weep in Public: Feeble Offerings on Depression From One Who Knows by Jacqueline Novak

More info*
Publication date: 2016
Publisher: Three Rivers Press
Pages: 242
My rating: 2.5 stars
Ages: 18+

Defying the normal parameters of self help, Novak instead teaches "depressos" how to be successful at being depressed.

This book is satire embellished with self deprecation, blue, observational, and dark comedy. So, almost a little bit of everything. Some of these types of humor aren't easy to understand in print, so part of my fear is that some confused teen might pick up this book and think to take it serious. Also, I personally don't find some of the humor funny.

However, it was interesting look at depression by someone who has dealt with it. It was an honest attempt at breaking the stigma of mental illness. Novak held nothing back.

As mentioned, there is quite a bit of "blue humor," including language and sexual talk. That, along with the satire and topic, is why I have put the age up so high.

*I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!