Monday, May 30, 2016

A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray

Buy here*
Publication date: 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 357
My rating: 3 stars
Ages: 16+
Series: Firebird

When Marguerite's father is killed, Marguerite is determined to avenge his death, even if that means chasing his killer across dimensions. With her parents' invention, the Firebird, Marguerite and Theo jump into different versions of themselves, trying to find the killer. But there is something much bigger going on than just her father's murder, something that could change the world--and all its versions.

When I started reading this book, I thought it was a time travel book, so it was a little hard to get my mind around the dimensions (what would probably most commonly be called "parallel worlds"). However, it was kind of like a time travel book, in a way; each world had advanced at a different pace. I found myself wanting to see where Marguerite would go next.

However, though jumping through several dimensions, Marguerite as a character seemed pretty one dimensional. She seemed a little incapable of taking care of herself or understanding any danger. The settings made up for this, as did Paul and Theo. I was also concerned about the lack of moral responsibility that should have been a larger part of the story. Marguerite and Co. are jumping into other people's bodies and are using them for their own devices. There is a moral ambiguity about whether or not they are themselves, and it does cross their minds, but I just feel that it should have been larger. There are several parts where the bodies are being violated, in varying degrees and meanings of the word.

This book is the beginning of a series (which I didn't know until just now), but though there are a few dangling ends, it could be read as a stand alone.

There is a non graphic sex scene and some mild language.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!