Monday, October 12, 2015

The Game of Love and Death by Martha Brokenbrough

Buy here*
Publication date: 2015
Publisher: Arthur A. Levine
Pages: 329
My rating: 3 stars
Ages: 15+

For hundreds of years, Love and Death have played their game, choosing their players carefully. In 1920, they picked Henry and Flora. Seventeen years later, the game is coming to its climax. With the differences in the players' status and race, Love considers changing his methods while Death grows tired with her destiny. All Henry and Flora want is to be happy.

This was an interesting way to tell a story, moving between characters (two who are immortal) to tell the story. However, it did take me awhile to really get into the story. The history of the 1930s was well represented, though I feel ashamed that I didn't realize how much the far west of the United States was affected.

I think that those who like books like The Book Thief, may find this an interesting read, though I don't think that I could say that it is comparable in quality, though similar in feel and narrative. I did like the ending and the changes in ALL the characters, not just Henry and Flora.

There is no language, but some sexual situations, though they happen off page.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!