Monday, June 8, 2015

Dream a Little Dream by Kerstin Gier (trans. Anthea Bell)

Buy here*
Publication date: 2015
Publisher: Henry Holt and Company
Pages: 319
My rating: 4 stars
Ages: 14+
Series: The Silver Trilogy

Liv has lived all over the world, loves a mystery, and is looking forward to settling down in a little cottage in Oxford with her mom and sister. Things don't turn out the way Liv was expecting and she ends up living in London. Her dreams become vivid and more intense--and then she starts seeing the four hottest boys from her new school in her dreams. And that's only the beginning of the weirdness she encounters in the first few months of her new life.

I really liked Gier's first trilogy (the Ruby Red Trilogy) and I'm so glad that this book has now been translated into English. Gier creates unique and interesting stories that grab you and keep you reading. In Ruby it was time travel and this one it's the dream world. She creates good characters, not just main characters, but secondary and background characters too. And it's obvious that she has the same love of London that I do.

I also feel like there needs to be a shout out to Bell. Her translations are amazing. There are moments when I wonder how on earth she was so flawlessly able to translate something that obviously is a play on words or turns of phrase. That is a talent that I know I will never have (not being fluent in another language . . .) and I admire her work. There were a few times when I think that the language was a little too formal for the characters, but I'm not sure if that was an error in translation or was originally written that way by Gier.

I am so looking forward to the next installment to this trilogy and hope that I won't have to wait too log for it to make it to the states.

Some sexual innuendo and mild language.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!