Thursday, November 6, 2014

The Secrets of Life and Death by Rebecca Alexander

More info*
Publication date: 2013
Publisher: Broadway Books
Pages: 365
My rating: 3 stars
Ages: 18+

In 1585, Edward Kelley and John Dee traveled to Hungry, looking to see if they could save Elizabeth Bathory, though it might take sorcery and result in evil. In 2013, Jack and Felix are racing to see if any of Kelley's writings can help to save a fourteen-year-old girl's life. But there is a mysterious woman and an inquisitor after Jack and Sadie which may result in one or both of their deaths.

Unlike the previous book I had received from Blogging for Books, I was drawn into Secrets. I did like the parts that took place in 2013 more than Kelley's journal, perhaps because Kelley was a little too pious in his writings. The story was interesting, especially as it was based on a historical figure who has become something of a myth.

The book, like a lot of British books, contains hard language, but not too frequently. There is also references to sexual encounters of different kinds. It's not exactly a book that I am desperate to share with my friends or really want to have anyone read it so we can talk about it, but it wasn't hard to read  and I found the drama and magic of it enjoyable.

*I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!