Monday, November 10, 2014

My Real Children by Jo Walton

Buy here*
Publication date: 2014
Publisher: Tor
Pages: 317
My rating: 1 star
Ages: 18+

Patricia has two sets of memories: two sets of children, two careers, two lives, two worlds. The nurses say she's confused, so she humors them, but she knows that the four children she had with Mark are just as real as the three she raised with Bee. Is it all just a butterfly effect or is one real and the other not?

The premise of this book seemed so interesting. Parallel universes based on one decision and it's alternate, coming together at the end of Patricia's life. Unfortunately, for me, the book didn't live up to its potential.

The chapters alternated between Patricia's two lives, one as Tricia, the other as Pat. But with one chapter spanning anywhere from a year to 10 years, it seemed more of a quick travelogue through their lives instead of a story. I felt no connection to her/them. By the time I reached the middle of the book I was bored--it didn't seem that anything was actually happening. Tricia raised her four kids and put up with her bully husband; Pat raised her three kids and went to Florence every year. Things happened in the background, but in this alternate history Walton created, I had a hard time caring about that as well. Man built a moon base in the 80s? Really? It was more than my suspension of disbelief could handle--especially as I wasn't expecting that.

There is an exploration of sexuality and alternate life choices throughout the book. For those who have read Walton before, this might be something you would enjoy, but I don't recommend it.

*I receive no compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!