Monday, October 10, 2016

Every Frenchman Has One by Olivia de Havilland

Buy here*
Publication date: 1961 (original); 2016 (this edition)
Publisher: Crown Archetype
Pages: 138
My rating: 4 stars
Ages: 15+

In 1953, Olivia de Havilland (Hollywood movie star and Academy Award winner) moved to France to marry a Frenchman. From her American point of view, France and the French have many peculiarities, which she isn't afraid to share with the world.

To me, Olivia de Havilland will always be synonymous with Maid Marion, since that is the part of hers I know the best. I wasn't sure what to expect from this book, but de Havilland shares the things she has observed and learned living among the French with tremendous wit.

I laughed as she talked about learning the French language and the gaffes she made from not being familiar with the culture.

I'm glad that this book was printed again to celebrate de Havilland's 100th birthday. There is a new interview with her for the new edition, which shows that wit doesn't disappear with age.

Definitely recommend.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!