Monday, October 3, 2016

A Week of Mondays by Jessica Brody

Buy here*
Publication date: 2016
Publisher: Farrar, Strauss and Giroux
Pages: 451
My rating: 3.5 stars
Ages: 14+

Ellison had the worst Monday of her life. She got a ticket, had a horrible school picture taken, had an allergic reaction, and to top it all off, her boyfriend broke up with her. All she wanted was a chance to do it all over again. When she wakes up the next morning, it's Monday all over again. And again. And again. All she needs is to get it right.

When I first started this book, I couldn't help but make comparisons to Before I Fall, which was also a Groundhog Day-esque story. Compared to Samantha's repeated day, Ellison's seemed trivial. However, when I let go of comparing, I was able to enjoy Mondays for what it is.

Though this kind of story isn't new (it's been done in movies, TV shows, TV movies, books . . .) I liked how Brody used it. It seems pretty straightforward at first--fix everything that went wrong the day before. But it's more than what just went wrong with Ellison, but her seeing outside of herself and noticing what is going on around her.

It was a fun, light book, which I needed after reading mysteries.

Little language and no sex.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!