Monday, July 4, 2016

Home Cooked: Essential Recipes for a New Way to Cook by Anya Fernald

More info*
Publication date: 2016
Publisher: Ten Speed Press
Pages: 287
My rating: 3 stars
Ages: N/A

Belcampo founder and CEO Fernald created this new cookbook, full of recipes inspired by the rural cooking of Italy.

When I saw the title of this cookbook, I thought "Oh nice! Simple, flavorful recipes for home cooked meals." Unfortunately, that's not what this book is. While I think that a lot of the recipes seem really interesting and sound delicious, it's not exactly the way I cook. Everything is made from scratch, from the pasta to the cheese, there are ingredients that don't seem that easy to come by (at least, they aren't in my grocery store), and it involves time that I don't have (or don't want to give up).  A lot of them also called for a cast iron pan, which I don't have.

That said, I did make three recipes from the book and they were all good. I made the Amoretti Morbidi, Asparagus and Fried Eggs with the Aioli in the book. I liked the personal touch Fernald gave every recipe, and the instructions were easy to follow. There are a few more recipes that I would like to try, perhaps with the help of family or friends, especially the panzerotti.

The physical book is beautiful. It lays flat, making it easy to look at the recipes while cooking, the pictures are gorgeous and hunger inducing, and pages are thick. I liked the hard cover binding with a fabric finish on the spine. It looks like the kind of book that I would have found in my grandmother's kitchen (which I mean in the best possible way).

I think that this cookbook would best be suited for an experienced cook who enjoys challenges when it comes to cooking.

*I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.
SaveSave
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!