Monday, July 18, 2016

Briar Rose by Jane Yolen

Buy here*
Publication date: 1992 (first edition), 2016 (this edition)
Publisher: Tor
Pages: 261
My rating: 4 stars
Ages: 16+

Becca grew up with her grandmother telling her the story of the Sleeping Beauty. Her grandmother's dying wish was for Becca to find the castle and the prince from the story. During her search, Becca learns about her past, her grandmother's past, and the fate of hundreds of thousands of people that no one knows--or will talk--about.

Yolen is one of those names that I know from my childhood. She had written a huge variety of books, from historical fiction, to board books, to fantasy. So, when I saw this book at the bookstore (and intrigued by the Sleeping Beauty retelling), I bought it sight unread.

This was a fascinating way to learn about a part of the Holocaust that I think very few people know about, all framed within the familiar (and yet unfamiliar) tale of Sleeping Beauty.

While marketed to teens, and being an appropriate read for teens, it's a bit different than most YA books. The main character is in her early 20s, instead of being a teenager, though I think that she is still relatable to teens, especially when it comes to her family relationships.

Very light language and vague mentions of sex.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!