Monday, December 14, 2015

You're Never Weird on the Internet (almost) by Felicia Day

buy here*
Publication date: 2015
Publisher: Touchstone
Pages: 258
My rating: 4 stars
Ages: 16+

From homeschooled "weirdo" to actor/writer/producer, Felicia Day shares the moments throughout her life that created confidence, ignorance, joy, and anxiety. From the her first experience with the internet to creating her own web series, each chapter is filled with funny anecdotes and quick wit.

Felicia shares a story about meeting Nichelle Nichols (Lt. Uhura in Star Trek) at a comic con and feeling like she made a complete fool of herself. It just happens that I met Felicia at that exact con. I waited for about two hours in her line to meet her (so worth it) and had been thinking about what I wanted to say to her. Once I got to the front of the line and said it, I was so relieved that I didn't hear her reply and had to count on my sister and brother-in-law to tell me what she said later. The point of this is that reading about Felicia's run-ins with other celebrities made me feel a lot better about myself.

And I think that's kind of how this book goes. Felicia shares some story about herself, the reader identifies with it and feels better for being weird. There are other moments in the book (one that had me crying at 11 at night) that are sweet or inspiring. Because it seemed that Felicia wasn't going to let anything get her down and she was so determined to show everyone what she could do that she did it.

There is some strong language and sexual references.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!