Monday, August 24, 2015

An Uncertain Choice by Jody Hedlund

Buy here*
Publication date: 2015
Publisher: Zondervan
Pages: 254
My rating: 2.5
Ages: 12-15

Since she was fourteen, Rosemarie has done two things: 1) ruled her land, 2) prepared to enter the convent on her eighteenth birthday. With a month to go for her birthday, she is faced with a decision. She can enter the convent like she had planned,  or attempt to find true love with one of the three knights she is presented with. But with murder plots and a sacred vow, Rosemarie isn't sure how to make the right choice.

I'm not exactly sure where to start with this book. I don't think I've ever read anything else by Hedlund, but she seems to be a pretty well loved author, which is why I was surprised by this book. I found the story predictable and some of the writing choices questionable.

The Point of View for most of the book is first person, by Rosemarie. But about every seven chapters, the font and POV changes. The first time it happened I thought the font change was a mistake. It wasn't until I was halfway down the page that I even realized that the POV had changed. And I didn't really see the point, since I didn't learn anything that I couldn't have learned from Rosemarie.

The ending made it seem like this story is going to be continued in another book.

The writing is technically good, but I just felt that the story could have gone deeper and been more mysterious, keeping me guessing. That's why I have put the age limit where I did, because I think that younger teens would get more enjoyment out of it than anyone older. There is no swearing or sex.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!