Monday, August 3, 2015

A School for Unusual Girls by Kathleen Baldwin

Buy here*
Publication date: 2015
Publisher: Tor Teen
Pages: 344
My rating: 3.5 star
Ages: 13+
Series: Stranje House

The war is over and Napoleon is imprisoned on Elba. But Georgiana's imprisonment is just beginning. After accidentally burning down her father's stables, Georgie is been taken to Miss Stranje's home for girls to be made into a presentable young woman. Miss Stranje's has a horrible reputation for punishing her students in unimaginable ways; which is just one reason why Georgie doesn't want to be taken there. But things are not always what they seem.

While this is the beginning of the novel, the story (for the most part) comes to a close at the end of the book. Which I appreciate. I may read more books, especially since it looks like they each focus on another one of the girls. Baldwin created an intriguing alternate England, with well-rounded characters.

My own big complaint was that both Georgie and the reader is kept in the dark for about half the novel. I kept wanting the girls and Miss Stranje to spell out exactly what they do at the school. In fact, there is still a lot unanswered, and that is kind of bugging me a little. Maybe enough for me to continue reading . . .

This book has spies, romance, history, and science. No language and no sex.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon.

1 comment:

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!