Monday, September 29, 2014

The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson

Buy here*
Publication date: 2013
Publisher: Tor Teen
Pages: 370
My rating: 3 stars
Ages: 14+

In an alternate version of America, Joel wants to be one thing--a Rithmatist. Unfortunately, only those chosen by The Master can be rithmatists, so Joel becomes a rithmatic scholar. When rithmatic students start disappearing, Joel uses his knowledge to help uncover the mysterious "Scribbler."

There are so many factors that go into how well you connect to a book, and unfortunately, the factors were not in my favor while reading The Rithmatist. Sanderson is an amazing writer and creator of worlds, and it was very apparent that this book was well written, the magic system thought out, and the mystery interesting and unpredictable. And the thing is, I really want to like Sanderson's books. I think he's a good writer, but his books just aren't my cup of tea.

Because of personal things that were happening in my life, I don't know if this book really got a fair chance. At the beginning I was only able to read a chapter at a time, which doesn't help one get into the story. By the end I was invested more because I sat down and finished it all in one go. I think that readers who are more used to reading a sort of epic fantasy will enjoy The Rithmatist from the start, especially those who are more familiar with Sanderson's writing. It's not long, and I think it's of a "lighter" nature than other Sanderson books that I have read (or tried to read).

This is the beginning of a series.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!