Thursday, September 11, 2014

Just My Typo compiled by Drummond Moir

More info*
Publication date: 2014
Publisher: Three Rivers Press
Pages: 168
My rating: 4 stars
Ages: 14+

Can a line break change the entire meaning of a sentence? What happens when a typesetter makes a mistake? What about autocorrect? In Just My Typo, we are given a peek at some of the best (or worst) mistakes made throughout history, from Sir Francis Drake "circumcising" the world to being told that "Thou shalt commit adultery."

I loved this book. I started reading it before I went to sleep one night and couldn't keep myself from laughing out loud. Then, as I waited in a line for several hours, I pulled it out and read bits and pieces to those who were with me, which helped ease the stress of our wait.

This is a book that language lovers, readers, editors, English speakers, publishers, or anyone looking for a laugh will enjoy. The book is split up into chapters that focus on specific types of mistakes (e.g. Romance, newspapers, literary, biblical, etc.) and each of those chapters have an "interlude" and typos sent in from those in publishing. Really, my only complaint is that the organization didn't seem very natural. It wasn't enough to bug me a lot, but I did wonder about it here and there.

Also, there is some language which may not be appropriate for younger readers.

*I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!