Monday, August 4, 2014

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Buy here*
Publication date: 2014
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Pages: 337
My rating: 4 stars
Ages: 14+

Lucy and Owen meet in an elevator during a New York City blackout. Two weeks later they are traveling in completely opposite directions, Owen to the West, Lucy to Scotland. The only things keeping them connected are the postcards they send each other, and the realization that the center of the world isn't a place, but a person.

This is a great example of how contemporary YA should be written. It's realistic, but imaginative. I also appreciated the clean language and the absence of sex. A love story can be told without sex and, personally, I think it's important to show that intimacy is more then being physical with someone. Smith shows this true intimacy, born out of having a long distance relationship that was started in a moment that unites strangers.

A good indicator of a well written story is when you can't put it down. After I turned off my light to go to sleep, I turned it back on to finish the book. There are moments when the story seemed to jump around, and it would take me a couple of pages to catch up again. But there were some beautiful turns of phrase, and the growth of the characters was refreshing and natural. Great for teens and adults.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!