Monday, August 18, 2014

I Heart New York by Lindsey Kelk

Buy here*
Publication date: 2010
Publisher: Harper
Pages: 307
My rating: 3 stars
Ages: 18+

When Angela finds out her fiancé has been cheating on her, she makes a brash decision to leave England and go to New York. With one small travel bag, a pair of Louboutins, and a bridesmaid dress, she arrives in New York with nowhere to go and no one she knows. She soon meets Jenny who uses her Oprah-like advice to give Angela a new look, and a new life.

This book reminded me a lot of the Shopaholic series by Sophia Kinsella. A girl loves shoes, meets an attractive guy or two, there's a problem, she finds herself. There isn't anything bad with this formula, and I find Angela a little less annoying than Becky. This is a fun lite lit for when you need a break from heavier stuff.

That being said, there was some stuff that annoyed me. The language, for one. Hard language is pretty typical in British novels, but it's just not something I like. There is also the fact that within two weeks of Angela breaking up with her fiancé and moving to New York she sleeps with not one, but two men. The last thing that bothered me was the editing. At first I could see that the proofreading didn't seem to have been very thorough--strange extra spaces, the wrong word here and there. And then I started noticing inconsistencies that should have been picked up by an editor; the biggest one being that the chronology would get off. Angela would say she had a meeting the next morning, but she wouldn't actually go to it until two days after she said it; she lived one Monday twice, etc.

If the language and sex doesn't bother you and you can turn your brain off to the editing, this is a fun start to a light read series.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!