Monday, April 14, 2014

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

Buy here*
Publication date: 1934 (original), 2004 (this edition)
Publisher: Berkley
Pages: 322
My rating: 4 stars
Ages: 14+

Famous Belgian detective, Hercule Poirot, thought he was going on vacation when he receives a message calling him back to England to work on a case. He is able to catch the Orient Express, where he comes across a wide variety of people, one of whom is killed the second night. Caught in a snowstorm, it is up to Poirot to discover the murderer.

How does one go about reviewing a book by such a well loved author as Agatha Christie? Especially one of the most well known books of her career? Well, as honestly as I can. I was first introduced to Agatha Christie through the Marple television show, then the play Mousetrap while I was in London, and then I finally started reading her books through a roommate of mine and they were all Poirot novels, so I do have a love for that particular Belgian detective. That being said, Murder on the Orient Express falls behind Death on the Nile for me.

There were great twists in the story, and I was with some of the other characters thinking it seemed a bit too coincidental until Poirot gave the whole story. Poirot is in fine form in this novel and the other characters interact with him in an interesting way. I just found that Poirot reached the solution a little too conveniently. But for mystery lovers, it's a good story with an interesting ending.

*I don't receive any compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!