Thursday, July 20, 2017

The Midnight Queen by Sylvia Izzo Hunter

Blogger's note: I'd like to apologize for two Mondays that have gone by without a new review. I recently started grad school, which means that I can't read as much as I used to. For the foreseeable future, reviews will no longer be every Monday, but will be posted when they are written. Thank you.

More info*
Publication date: 2017
Publisher: Ace Books
Pages: 417
My rating: 3 stars
Ages: 16+
Series: Noctis Magicae

Gray is a talented magician, studying at the best college in the country, when he suddenly finds himself in the kind of trouble that can't be easily fixed. He's taken to work at his professor's country home in the north, which is where he meets Sophie, the professor's second daughter. But there is more to the professor and Sophie than it seems at first, which leads Gray and Sophie into an dangerous adventure which could change the entire country.

This is a revisionist, fantasy historical novel. The world building is great and fully developed; not once did I feel like Hunter was talking down or delving into exposition, instead it was natural and understandable.

Though this is the first of a series, it reads as a standalone. It was enjoyable to read (solid 3 stars), but it took me a long time to get through it. This could have just been because of life events, but I did find myself wondering when it was going to end.

There was no language or sex.

*I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!