Monday, March 16, 2015

The Devil's Intern by Donna Hosie

Buy here*
Publication date: 2014
Publisher: Holiday House
Pages: 229
My rating: 2.5 stars
Ages: 14+

Mitchell became The Devil's intern shortly after his death four years ago. Though crowded and hot, Hell is made bearable by Mitchell's three friends: Alfarin, Elinor, and Medusa. But when Mitchell discovers that there may be a way to leave Hell and change his death, he and his friends start making plans.

The concept and execution of this book was pretty interesting. Though dead, the souls in Hell aren't immune to hunger, sickness, zits, love, etc. They have cell phones and computers and worked jobs. That was interesting. And the idea of if you would change your death if you had the chance is something to think about. Also, the time travel was done so well. There are very few things I've read that have done time travel well--working with the paradox and the time travelers doing things that have "already" been done. I applaud Hosie for that.

I also like that the ending left me wanting more, but not necessarily needing more. If it has a sequel, I don't feel that I need to read it to find out what happens.

But there were little things that just bugged me and threw me out of the story. For example, Mitchell texts his friends to meet him, then when he meets them he mentions that Alfarin doesn't have a cell phone. Even though he just texted him. Then just a few pages later, Mitchell texts Alfarin again. I had to flip back and make sure that I had read it correctly. These little inconsistencies, as well as how hard it was to get into the book in the first place, is why I've given it the rating I did.

There are mentions of sex, but nothing on the page. There was no language that I can remember.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!