Monday, October 6, 2014

Bright Before Sunrise by Tiffany Schmidt

Buy here*
Publication date: 2014
Publisher: Walker Books
Pages: 274
My rating: 3 stars
Ages: 15+

Jonah started at Cross Pointe High in the middle of his senior year and he can't wait to get out of town. Brighton is a cheerful leader, popular and socially active. The two of them are thrown together for one night, but can two people from different worlds really come to understand and like each other?

Bright is told from both Jonah's and Brighton's point of views, with alternating chapters. This means that we get a background look at their lives and see the misunderstandings both have of each other. I found it a fast read--finishing it in just a few hours--but also an interesting look into communication, especially between men and women.

My biggest criticism of this is that Jonah seemed just a little too obsessed with sex. Maybe I'm a prude, and I know that teenagers think about/have sex, but everything seemed to turn his mind to it. It wasn't graphic or anything, but I guess I just believe that boys can (and do) think about more than sex. I know, I'm a revolutionary.

This book didn't stand out to me more than other contemporary teen novels, and I don't know if I would think about recommending it to my friends, but if you're just browsing and need a quick read, this is a good book to pick up.

*I do not receive compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!