Monday, July 14, 2014

Unraveled: A Tale of True Love by Julie Daines

Buy here*
Publication date: 2014
Publisher: Covenant Communications
Pages: 185
My rating: 3 stars
Ages: 14+

Bronwyn has been crippled for years; her legs made weak by the same sickness that took her father and siblings. She knows she won't ever marry, and will instead live with her mother the rest of her life. Then a witch, the Gwyllion, comes to their home and leaves a pair of shoes that magically straighten and strengthen Bronwyn's legs. The future is finally open to her and she longs for love. But the lies she tells soon capture her in their web and she's not sure if she'll ever be free.

This book is a short, fast read. Which is good, because 50 pages in I already knew all of the major plot points and continued to read it just to make sure I was right. It's a new kind of fairytale, which is why I was so ready to read it, but I was disappointed with how predictable it was, without any sort of twist to make me doubt my predictions.

The writing is good, and the setting of a Wales-like country was intriguing. But I was glad it was so short. I was tired of Bronwyn's lies and her attempts to cover things up. I had to remind myself that she was only sixteen and therefore was prone to make some bad decisions. I think this will be good for younger teens, and those who want a quick, light read.

*I am not compensated by Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!