Monday, June 9, 2014

The 57 Lives of Alex Wayfare by MG Buehrlen

Buy Here*
Publication date: 2014
Publisher: Strange Chemistry
Pages: 410
My rating: 4 stars
Ages: 14+

Alex is a social outcast--by her own design. She can't let anyone know about the visions she's been having since she was four years old--visions that are too realistic to be just visions. Then she meets Porter, a mysterious stranger who has been looking after her her entire life, and she learns the truth. Or does she? Someone doesn't want Alex to keep going into the past, putting her family and her life in jeopardy.

Buehrlen's debut novel is fantastic; I couldn't put it down. The story and the characters kept drawing me in, which meant that I finished it in less than two days. This is what the world needs: more amazing stand alone novels.

There is something in the design of the book that I wish was done differently. There are times when someone is speaking to Alex's mind, but it isn't set off any differently than the rest of the text. Maybe that confusion was intentional, but I found it distracting and would have liked it set off by italics or something else. Other than that the story was easy to follow, and the world of "descenders" was believable.

*I am not compensated by Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!